Workout Log

Check out my training log at www.runningahead.com. See my race results at www.athlinks.com.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

2011 Workout Goals vs. Actuals

Well, 2011 is over and it's already February of 2012. Hard to believe! I wanted to updated my 2011 goals and track how I did. It was a great year in which I accomplished a number of firsts...first Ironman, first road marathon, first trail marathon, first ultra (pacer)...oh yeah and FIRST TIME DAD!

Anyway, here's how I did:

Swim Target: 175,000 yards
Actual = 133,944 yards
Delta: -41,056
Percent Complete: 77%

I started off the year pretty well and joined a "bandit" Master's swim group at the Dallas Texins Activity Center on the TI campus at 635/75. This was semi-convenient as I started a 6-month assignment in February that put me down at that TI site a few times a week (I normally work at our Plano site). I slowed down quite a bit in March as I spent 3 weeks in Taiwan on business. I did manage to find a pool, but had difficulty finding the time to get to it consistently so my distance suffered. I came back strong in April training with the Master's group and really made a hard push in my last month preparing for my Ironman. I showed up on race day very well prepared and the Ironman swim went VERY well for me. I exited the water in the top 1/3 of the field and felt as if I hadn't put forth much effort. I took time off in June/July as I prepped to be a daddy and then once Olivia arrived just never hit the pool consistently. Last time I was in the water was October! Yikes.


Bike Target: 2,000 miles
Actual = 1,848 miles
Delta: -152 miles
Percent Complete: 92%

I had a nice ramp in mileage during Ironman training, but after taking time off in June/July just never got back on the tri bike. I dabbled on the mountain bike and on my road bike as a commuter, but never got serious about biking in the 2nd half of the year. This took a backseat to running. I'm dissapointed in myself for not pushing through and knocking out the last 150 miles I needed to achieve my goal (I had 6 months to do it and just didn't!).


Run Target: 500 miles
Actual = 715 miles
Delta: +215 miles
Percent Complete: 143%

I know it's all relative, but wow 700 miles! I'm extremely happy with what I accomplished running wise in 2011. I know in comparison to most marathoners and ultra runners this is extremely meager, but considering my highest total yearly mileage up to this year was less than 400 miles, this was a huge accomplishment. I had a decent ramp to Ironman, but certainly could have trained more and arrived a little better prepared. This felt like my weakest area in IM, but that could also be attributed to the fact that it came last on race day when I was already tired. After taking June/July mostly off getting ready for Olivia, I started running again in August to begin training for my first road marathon. Along the way, I paced a good friend during his first 100 miler trail race (incredible experience), and ran my first trail race in Rockledge Rumble 30K+. I fell apart after Rockledge though and really lacked in training leading up to the marathon. I had to adjust my expectations going into the marathon on New Year's Eve, but I arrived at the finish line with a smile...albeit much slower than I hoped for!


All in all it was a great year! Looking back and reflecting on it I can't help but be happy with what I accomplished, despite coming up short distance wise in swimming and biking. I basically made the choice to focus on running the 2nd half of the year as I discovered being a new dad required a little more time than I thought.

I'm still struggling to set goals for 2012, but will get around to that shortly. I have a feeling it will focus on mountain biking and maybe a couple XTERRA tris. I will probably also get back to weight lifting as well and try to keep my girl happy...you know what they say, "Curls for the girls!".

1 comment:

  1. Curls for the girls! Haha. Sad, but that's the first time I've heard that! I like. Nice job this year Brian. I wouldn't have had the time I did at the traveller if it wasn't for you!

    ReplyDelete