Workout Log

Check out my training log at www.runningahead.com. See my race results at www.athlinks.com.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Texas Winter Weather

Well as most people know, North Texas was invaded by two uncharacteristic winter storms over the last 2 weeks. Of course, we had a nice 60 degree day in between. We had 2-3 inches of ice for 3-4 days last week followed by 6+ inches of snow! Then, we had another inch or so of ice this week. Got to love the Texas weather.

I refused to let this impact my training and actually took advantage of working from home and getting my workouts in. I spent a lot of time on the bike trainer (not sure how I'd be getting much training done without it) and got out for 3 different ice runs and 1 SOLID 11+ mile snow run.


Bundling up for the single digit windchill 
I had a couple workouts that called for hill repeats, so I decided to head out to the local golf course that has a pretty nice hill and do repeats in the grass along one of the uphill fairways. I figured I'd have much better traction in the frozen grass instead of the icy sidewalks. I did 8x1min at max effort uphill with 2min active recoveries in between. Awesome workout.

Only 50ft of elevation gain. I think I need to find a steeper hill...
Hill Repeats
The weather should be really nice for the weekend, so I'm looking forward to actually getting outdoors on the bike!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like the temps are going to be in the high 60's Sat, Sunday and Monday! I think I'm getting out on Sunday for an easy 7hrs in the saddle out at Windhaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep...if not for a spin bike and my one 5 mile run in this mess...I would have been climbing the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacob...did you just say 7hrs and easy in the same sentence? You're ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete