Workout Log

Check out my training log at www.runningahead.com. See my race results at www.athlinks.com.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

It's Race Week...

I can't believe it's here...the journey has been long, but here I am just 4 days away from Ironman Texas. I've spent the last 6 months putting in the physical training required to show up to the starting line at Ironman. For the last 1-1/2 weeks, I've been focusing on getting mentally prepared for the race. It's not whether or not I will have low points during the race, it's how I respond to those low points. I've been rehearsing in my mind the responses I will have for my body when it says I'm too tired. Here are a few of the things I'm drawing on (thanks to Johnny Quinn for providing some of these)...

Isaiah 40:29-31
29 He gives strength to the weary
   and increases the power of the weak.
30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
   and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the LORD
   will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
   they will run and not grow weary,
   they will walk and not be faint.

Psalm 18:32-36
32 It is God who arms me with strength
   and keeps my way secure.
33 He makes my feet like the feet of a deer;
   he causes me to stand on the heights.
34 He trains my hands for battle;
   my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
35 You make your saving help my shield,
   and your right hand sustains me;
   your help has made me great.
36 You provide a broad path for my feet,
   so that my ankles do not give way.

Isaiah 40:10
10 So do not fear, for I am with you;
   do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
   I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Hebrews 12:1-3
1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses,
  let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles us.
  And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,
2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.
  For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame,
  and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners,
  so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

Philippians 1:29
"For you have been given not only the privilege of trusting in Christ but also the privilege of suffering for him."

One of my favorites..."Suck it up, cupcake!"

And of course, the motto my dad has continually told me before every competition..."Play BIG!!!"

Here's a few videos that the Versus network produced that are pretty inspiring (excuse the language)...

 



And one of my all time favorites..."Not today, Baywatch!"

 

How do you get jacked before a competition?

1 comment:

  1. "Your sister wants her shorts back..." love it!

    You are ready! Don't overthink it... let your body do what you have been preparing it to do. Make a list RIGHT NOW of the things that you think are acceptable reasons to back down from your goal... the things that would legitimately take you out of the race (or even prompt you to pull back on the intensity)... When you find yourself at a point in the race where the feedback suggests you are not up to it... re-visit that list you just made and see if what your are experiencing is on the list... proceed accordingly...

    Love you/play big!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete